The benefits for which you are eligible depend upon your appointment level and your membership in the University of California Retirement Plan (UCRP) or another defined benefit plan to which UC contributes. UC offers three benefit packages — Full, Mid-level, and Core.
You are eligible for Full Benefits if you are a member of UCRP. There are two ways to qualify for UCRP membership:
- You are appointed to work in an eligible position at least 50% time for a year or longer, OR
- After you work 1,000 hours (750 hours for Unit 18 Lecturers') in a 12-consecutive month period in an eligible position.
To remain eligible for this benefit level, you must maintain an average regular paid time of at least 17.5 hours per week.
Ineligible positions include per diems, visiting titles, Non-Senate Instructional Units, and Postdoctoral Scholars. Ineligible positions do not participate in UCRP and Social Security, but do participate in Medicare and DCP Safe Harbor.
You are eligible for Mid-level Benefits if:
- You are not a member of a UC-sponsored defined benefit retirement plan (UCRP), AND
- You are appointed to work 100% time for at least three months, OR
- You are appointed to work at least 50% time for a year or more.
Mid-Level Benefit participants do not participate in UCRP and Social Security, but do participate in Medicare and DCP Safe Harbor.
Core Level Benefits
You are eligible for Core Benefits if you are appointed to work at least 43.75 percent time. UC bases your ongoing eligibility for benefits on the number of regular hours you are paid by UC to work each week. (Paid time excludes bonuses and overtime.)
Core Benefit participants do not participate in UCRP and Social Security, but do participate in Medicare and DCP Safe Harbor.
Campus Human Resources, Benefits Services
Phone: (310) 794-0830 | Fax: (310) 794-0835