Labor Agreement with AFT on Behalf of Lecturers
DEANS, DIRECTORS, DEPARTMENT CHAIRS, and ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICERS
Re: Labor Agreement with AFT on Behalf of Lecturers
We are pleased to let you know that the University of California and the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) have finalized a two-year labor contract for employees in the Lecturer bargaining unit. This contract, which has been ratified by union membership, provides an attractive and competitive compensation package, and supports opportunities for career growth.
The agreement, which expires June 1, 2015, includes:
- A 3.5 percent wage increase for the 2013-14 fiscal year.
- If policy-covered academic employees, including Academic Senate faculty, receive a wage increase in 2014, lecturers will receive the same increase.
- The same post-employment benefits and pension contribution rates that currently apply to 16 other bargaining units and about 75,000 policy-covered employees.
- Special provisions will allow qualifying continuing appointees to remain in the 1976 pension tier if they meet specific criteria related to UC Retirement Plan service credit, hours of service, and breaks in service due to the nature of their appointments. Additional details, as part of the complete contract, will be posted on the At Your Service web site soon.
- Like many employers, including the state of California, UC has adopted a series of prudent measures designed to protect its ability to provide quality retirement benefits to employees over the long term.
- Funding for professional development is increased to $200 per full-time equivalent (FTE) lecturer per year, up from $135 per FTE previously.
- Notice to the union when a new online course is implemented through sponsorship or funding from a system-wide source.
Please ensure that this information is shared with employees covered by this bargaining unit and their supervisors. If you have questions about the new contract, please contact Labor Relations Consultant Daniel Gray, Campus Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Associate Director Esther Hamil, Academic Personnel, at email@example.com.
Carole Goldberg Lubbe Levin
Vice Chancellor Associate Vice Chancellor
Academic Personnel Campus Human Resources
Campus Human Resources, Policy & Personnel Services
Phone: (310) 794-3147 | Fax: (310) 794-0865
UCLA Healthcare Human Resources
Phone: (310) 794-0500 | Fax: (310) 794-0620