Top 10 Ways to Prevent Burnout
- Practice self-care by balancing responsibility with time for relaxation, enjoyable activities and getting enough sleep.
- Set appropriate and reasonable limits and set attainable goals.
- Build and utilize your support system for practical and emotional support.
- Pay attention to maladaptive thoughts that may “contribute” to feeling burnout.
- Take regular breaks throughout the day to free your mind and stretch your body.
- Reward yourself for your accomplishments.
- Learn effective ways to cope with stress. Try Biofeedback at the Staff & Faculty Counseling Center.
- Practically and constructively share your needs and concerns with your supervisor.
- Reexamine your work process, work priorities and discover ways to work smarter.
- Practice flexibility when dealing with multitasking and interruptions.
The Staff & Faculty Counseling Center can help you learn how to incorporate these elements in your life. For a free and confidential consultation with one of our counselors, please call and schedule an appointment at 310-351-6259.
Campus Human Resources, Staff and Faculty Counseling Center
Phone: (310) 794-0245 | Fax: (310) 794-0251