Administrative Stipend Policy
Approval authority: Vice chancellors are authorized to approve administrative stipends up to one year for all staff employees, except students working in casual-restricted positions. This authority may be reassigned to:
- A senior level assistant in the vice chancellor's office
- Department heads/ business officers
- Department chairs
Authority can be reassigned only once, with no further reassignment. Administrative stipend requests for casual-restricted positions should be forwarded to the Assistant Director, Job Opportunities Program, for approval.
Required documentation: Those authorized to approve administrative stipends must complete and maintain the Administrative Stipend Approval Form in department files. Compensation specialists will randomly audit administrative stipends approved outside of the Human Resources Department for compliance with policies and collective bargaining agreements. The audit will include a review of the form and the changes entered into the PPS. Audit results will be periodically communicated to vice chancellors.
- Increases in responsibility arise when an employee is temporarily assigned the majority of the duties of a position in a higher grade or classification, or when new projects or duties are assigned representing a higher level of complexity, responsibility, and/or independence.
- The maximum duration for an administrative stipend is one year. Extensions beyond one year require approval by Human Resources.
- Assignment of temporary responsibilities at the same or lower level does not warrant an administrative stipend.
- Permanent increases in responsibility are appropriately addressed through the reclassification or promotion processes, not via administrative stipend.
- The amount of the administrative stipend shall not exceed the amount of salary increase that could be received by an employee if she or he were to receive a permanent promotion to the higher grade/ classification.
- The effective date for the administrative stipend will be the first day the higher-level duties are assumed.
- Employees remain in their primary classification (position of record) for the duration of the administrative stipend and are subject to the policies/collective bargaining agreement terms applicable to that classification.
- Supervisory responsibilities are not normally assigned on a temporary basis to employees covered by a collective bargaining agreement. Consultation with Human Resources is advised before temporarily assigning supervisory responsibilities to exclusively represented employees.
- Following approval, the administrative stipend may be entered into PPS using one of the following title codes:
- 0496 - Manager and Senior Professional positions
- 9899 - Professional and Support Staff and exclusively represented positions
Need an expert? Contact the Compensation Unit.
Notice: The information on this page summarizes provisions of University policies and/or collective bargaining agreements. Refer to Personnel Policies for Staff Members (PPSM) or applicabl collective bargaining agreement for full text of referenced information.