Personnel Policy for Staff Members (PPSM) 60–Layoff & Reduction in Time
DEANS, DIRECTORS, DEPARTMENT CHAIRS, and ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICERS
Re: Personnel Policy for Staff Members (PPSM) 60 – Layoff and Reduction in Time
Following extensive systemwide consultation, the UC Office of the President has issued revisions to PPSM 60 – Layoff and Reduction in Time from Professional and Support Staff Career Positions, effective immediately. We appreciated receiving feedback from employees and managers during the review process.
The policy covers Professional and Support Staff employees appointed to career positions and includes the following revisions:
- Locations must offer severance pay to employees subject to indefinite layoff or indefinite reduction in time, or they may choose to offer these employees the option to elect rights to recall and preference for reemployment in lieu of severance pay. UCLA will offer employees subject to indefinite layoff or indefinite reduction in time the option to elect rights to recall and preference for reemployment or severance pay.
- Periods of temporary layoff or temporary reduction in time need not be adjacent but cannot exceed a total of four cumulative months in a calendar year.
- When determining the order of layoff, the criteria to be utilized are: relevant skills, knowledge and abilities; documented performance; and length of service. Prior review and approval by the Director—Employee & Labor Relations is required before implementing any layoff actions.
- Employees with priority for retention may waive their seniority in order to be designated for layoff.
- Time on leave with or without pay will not be counted as qualifying service for the purpose of completing a trial employment period.
The revised systemwide policy is available in Related Information.
To facilitate compliance with the revisions to these systemwide policies, as well as to provide guidance in their implementation, local UCLA procedures will be promulgated in the next several weeks.
Please circulate this information to managers and policy-covered staff in your organization. Campus departments may contact Director Lynne Thompson at 794-0860 or for the Health System, Director Maure Gardner at 794-0500, if there are questions regarding application of this policy.
Campus Human Resources, Policy Services
Phone: (310) 794-3147 | Fax: (310) 794-0865