Reemployment of UC Rehired Retirees into Senior Management Group & Staff Positions
The Policy on Reemployment of UC Retired Employees into Senior Management Group and Staff Positions governs the reemployment of all former UC employees (Senior Management Group (SMG) members, staff personnel, and academic appointees) who have separated from University employment and elected monthly retirement income or a lump sum cash out from the University of California Retirement Plan (UCRP), and who are rehired into SMG or staff positions.
And though these guidelines are also applicable to the reemployment of retired employees with underlying faculty appointments who are rehired into SMG or staff positions, they do not modify, amend, or suspend any rights or privileges connected with the underlying faculty appointments.
Retirees who were hired on or before December 31, 2008 and have subsequently continued employment will continue under the former policy Guidelines for Rehire of UC Retirees until their appointments end or there is a change in their current appointment.
Additional details may be found on UCnet.
Please take the following steps to request initial hire of a retiree (including those that took a lump sum cash out) or to request extensions or exceptions of current rehired retirees:
- Review the Implementing Procedures for hiring a retiree.
- Department completes the Retired Employee Approvals Form (UBEN 138) (pdf)
- Department directs the candidate for rehire to complete the UCRP Reemployed Retiree Notification Form (UBEN 1039) (pdf)
- Department submit both forms to Human Resources.
Exceptions to this policy include, but are not limited to:
- Reemployment of a lump sum cash out recipient into a career appointment;
- Temporary reemployment into a career position without recruitment.
- A rehire appointment with an appointment percentage and/or duration that is mathematically greater than the equivalent of 43% in 12 months.
- An initial reemployment period of longer than 12 consecutive months.
- Reemployment for longer than a cumulative total of 24 months (unless the Retired Employee is reemployed into a career appointment).
The above list is not exhaustive and should not be interpreted to cover all possible exceptions. If a department is uncertain about whether or not an appointment constitutes an exception to policy, your Human Resources Business Partner can provide guidance.
Please note, retirees rehired prior to January 1, 2009, including employees that took a lump sum cash out (LSC), that currently do not have an appointment end date will be allowed to stay in their position until their current appointment ends or until there is a change in their current appointment — no action required at this time.
All rehired retirees whose appointments end and wish to be rehired will fall under the new policy and be required to follow the process above.
UCLA Campus - Local Procedures
- A Rehired Retiree Approvals Form (UBEN 138) must be completed and submitted to Benefit Services at least 30 days in advance of the Appointment Begin Date.
- For campus requests, please send the form to Benefits Director Linda Gaddie, who will prepare it for review and my approval and, if needed for any policy exceptions, by Chancellor Block. See Related Information for the Approvals Form.
- The Signature Section of the Approvals Form requires 2 signatures (from the organization head and the department head), as shown here:
Department Hiring Authority
Chief Human Resources Officer
Lubbe Levin (for campus)
*For example, Administrative Vice Chancellor, Vice Chancellor — Student Affairs, Dean — School of Engineering & Applied Science, Vice Chancellor — External Affairs, etc.
4. A completed UCRP Retired Employee Election Form must accompany the Approvals Form for all rehired retirees who are receiving monthly UCRP payments.
5. Campus Human Resources will prepare the semi-annual report of all rehired retirees, those within policy and exceptions, for submission to the Office of the President and the Regents, using the data furnished on the Approvals Form.
6. Rehired Retirees with an active Appointment as of December 31, 2008, are Grandfathered as follows:
With End Date in 2009
Grandfathered under guidelines in place prior to 1-1-09 until the earlier of their Appointment End Date or a change in their current Appointment#.
Temporarily* Grandfathered under guidelines in place prior to 1-1-09 until the earlier of when their current Appointment Ends or their current Appointment changes#.
*UCOP is considering whether to establish a Sunset Date to end Indefinite Appointments of Rehired Retirees.
8. The Approvals Form for Rehired Retirees in your department should be submitted at least 30 days in advance of the rehire or the Appointment extension in order to provide sufficient time to conduct the necessary review and approval process before commitments are made.
Campus Human Resources
Phone: (310) 794-0800 | Fax: (310) 794-0805