Revisions to Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Employment Policies
DEANS, DIRECTORS, DEPARTMENT CHAIRS & ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICERS
Re:Revisions to Nondiscrimination and Affirmative Action Employment Policies
The Office of the President has updated the following policies related to nondiscrimination and affirmative action, effective July 1, 2008:
- University of California Nondiscrimination and Affirmative Action Policy regarding Academic and Staff Employment
- Personnel Policies for Staff Members 12, Nondiscrimination in Employment
- Personnel Policies for Staff Members, Affirmative Action
The nondiscrimination in employment policies have been revised to:
- Provide consistency between University policy and the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA). USERRA prohibits discrimination against persons because of their service in the uniformed services.
- Prohibit retaliation against any employee or person seeking employment for filing a complaint of discrimination or harassment pursuant to the University’s nondiscrimination in employment policies.
The affirmative action policies have been revised to provide consistency with recently published regulations that implement the Jobs for Veterans Act of 2002 (JVA).
The policy revisions pertaining to affirmative action have been incorporated into the University’s Affirmative Action Policy Statement for University of California Publications Regarding Employment Practices. Similar policy revisions will be added to Academic Personnel Policy 035, Affirmative Action and Nondiscrimination in Employment.
The revised policies are available on the At Your Service website in Related Information.
Please distribute the information in this memo to employees in your organization. Questions regarding the above policies applicable to staff should be directed to Director Linda Avila at email@example.com and regarding academic personnel to Manager Marsha Fractor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Campus Human Resources, Personnel Services
Phone: (310) 794-3147 | Fax: (310) 794-0865