Wage Increases for AFSCME Service Unit (SX)
Pursuant to the agreement between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) bargaining unit, UCLA will be implementing the following salary actions for Service Unit (SX) employees effective October 1, 2012, for monthly paid employees and October 14, 2012, for biweekly paid employees.
3% Across-the-Board Increase
- Eligible employees all members of the bargaining unit on active status or on an approved leave on the effective date of the increase and who remain on payroll when the payment is calculated.
- Employees above the maximum of the salary range will have their base pay increased to the maximum of the range and will then receive a one-time, annualized, non-base building, pro-rated by appointment percentage, retirement eligible lump sum payment on the remaining portion of the 3% that was not provided within range. Departments will need to identify eligible employees and process the lump sum manually. Utilize the DOS code of LSP when processing the lump sum payment.
- Adjustments to RES appointments must be done at the department level.
Increase to Minimum Rate
- New minimum rate of $14.42/hr. effective October 1, 2012, for monthly paid employees and October 14, 2012 for biweekly paid employees.
- Salary ranges for titles affected by the new minimum wage have also been adjusted. Accordingly employees in affected titles will have their rates adjusted.
Calculation of Overtime
UCLA will be implementing the following changes to the calculation of overtime for the Service (SX) employees effective October 1, 2012, for monthly paid employees and October 14, 2012, for biweekly paid employees. The changes affect the calculation of overtime and compensatory time. Detailed information regarding this can be located in the collective bargaining agreement, Article 12 on the CHR portal.
The changes in the calculation for overtime pay are as follows:
- Employees are to be compensated 1-1/2 times their straight time rate for any hours worked over 8 hours per day (their normal shift). If the employee has a 10 hour or 12 hour shift, the same rule applies, they would be compensated 1-1/2 times their straight time rate for any hours worked over 10 hours per day or 12 hours per day. Directions for processing payments under this new agreement including DOS codes and calculations will be forthcoming.
New rates for biweekly paid employees will be reflected on the November 7, 2012, paycheck for which IPAY screens can be reviewed on November 2, 2012. New rates for monthly paid employees will be reflected on the November 1, 2012, paycheck for which IPAY screens can be reviewed on October 26, 2012.
The across-the-board increase will be processed centrally with new rates reflected in EDB on October 15, 2012.
Contact Campus Human Resources Compensation at 310-794-0880 or your Compensation Consultant with questions regarding these upcoming wage changes. Questions regarding EDB should be directed to Campus Personnel Services at (310) 794-3147.
Campus Human Resources, Compensation Services
Phone: (310) 794-0880 | Fax: (310) 794-0876