2013 Open Enrollment Information
It’s time once again to review your UC benefits and make any changes for next year. UC’s annual Open Enrollment begins Monday, October 29, at 8 a.m. and ends Tuesday, November 20, at 5 p.m. Consider it your opportunity for an annual benefits checkup.
UC has worked hard to keep costs down, and, as a result, 80 percent of employees will see premium increases of less than $8 per month. UC continues to cover 87 percent of premium costs. See the complete list of 2013 medical plan rates on the At Your Service web site in Related Information.
If you’re in the Health Net HMO or Anthem Blue Cross PPO, you will note that these plans had the biggest cost increases. We recommend that you review the benefits and provider networks offered by the other plans such as Blue Cross Plus and Anthem Lumenous PPO with HRA, which have substantially lower premiums and in some cases similar benefits. For example, the Health Net Blue & Gold HMO has identical benefits to the Health Net HMO but a provider network that may or may not include physicians that you wish to utilize. You’ll find information comparing all plans in your Open Enrollment booklet.
There aren’t many changes this year, but a few are worth noting:
- For the HMO medical plans and the Anthem Blue Cross PLUS plans, some co-payments for services will increase beginning January 1, 2013. For example, doctor visits will cost $5 more and emergency room visits are increasing by $25. UC last increased co-payments in 2006, and since then the full cost of doctor visits has increased about $50.
- Co-payments for brand name and non-formulary prescription drugs are also increasing by $5 (or $10 for mail order) for all plans that charge a co-pay. Generic prescription drug co-payments are not changing.
- Women’s preventive services will be offered at no charge in 2013. These include well-woman visits, FDA-approved contraception methods and counseling, breastfeeding support and supplies and more.
- The Health Net Blue & Gold network is changing, with a few new medical groups joining and some medical groups leaving the network, although there are no changes in Los Angeles County. It’s always a good idea to check the Health Net doctor directory to see if your doctor or medical group is still a part of the Network.
- The ARAG Legal Plan is open for enrollment this year.
- The maximum amount you can contribute to the HealthCare Flexible Spending Account (FSA) is reduced to $2,500 while the DepCare FSA maximum remains at $5,000. This is the only plan that does not automatically roll over into next year if you take no action. You must enroll or re-enroll in the HealthCare and DepCare FSA during Open Enrollment if you wish to participate in 2013.
Open Enrollment elections can be made starting Monday, October 29, at 8 a.m. Take some time to complete your annual benefits checkup.
If you have questions, please contact your Benefits Office. For campus employees, you may contact Campus Human Resources Benefits Services at (310) 794-0830. For Health System employees, contact Health System Human Resources at (310) 794-0500.
Campus Human Resources, Benefits Services
Phone: (310) 794-0830 | Fax: (310) 794-0835