HR Guidelines for Employees Affected by the Los Angeles Wildfires

Due to serious concerns about employees who may be affected by the wildfires in the Los Angeles area, we are re-issuing the guidelines below regarding options that are available to employees and departments in the event that emergency leave and/or other support services are required.

Emergency Leave

Administrative leave with pay is available during natural disasters or other emergencies under section E of Personnel Policy 46 related to Administrative Leave. In consultation with Campus Human Resources, Organization Heads may approve up to two days of administrative leave with pay and may request authorization for additional leave as needed to address situations in which staff employees are unable to report to work due to a natural disaster or emergency.

Additionally, Departments have the discretion to allow employees who are unable to work as a result of the fires to use their accrued vacation, compensatory time off, or leave without pay. The option to use accrued vacation, compensatory time or leave without pay may also be made available to employees who volunteer for or are asked to participate in emergency response activities, such as volunteer firefighters. Employees called to active duty for emergency National Guard leave may be eligible to receive their regular University pay in accordance with Policy 45–Military Leave. Contact Policy Services Manager Lazetta Smith ( or your Employee/Labor Relations consultant in Campus Human Resources for guidance on any of these policies and to initiate a request for administrative leave with pay. 

Employee Assistance Program

Dealing with emergencies such as the wildfires can take a serious toll on all of us. Professionals at the Staff and Faculty Counseling Center are available to help employees deal with the impact of these circumstances. The Center can be reached at (310) 794-0245

403(b) Plan — Emergency Loans and Hardship Withdrawals

The University offers several options for emergency loans for employees in need of financial assistance. Employees who participate in UC's 403(b) Plan may borrow their own funds for emergency needs or, if ineligible for a loan, they may be able to take a hardship withdrawal. Employees may contact Fidelity Retirement Services at (866) 682-7787 for additional information and assistance about loans and hardship withdrawals. 

A+ Auto and Home Insurance

For employees with A+ Auto & Home Insurance managed by California Casualty, call their customer service center at (800) 800-9410.

If you have any questions about these guidelines, contact Lazetta Smith for more information.

Campus Human Resources, Personnel Services
Phone: (310) 794-3147 | Fax: (310) 794-0865