HR Resources for Employees Affected by the Wildfires

The recent wildfires across Southern California are impacting thousands of lives throughout the region. For UCLA employees who may be affected by the natural disaster, there are options available for emergency leave and related support services.    

Emergency Leave

Administrative leave with pay is available during natural disasters or other emergencies under section E of Personnel Policy 46 related to Administrative Leave. In consultation with Campus Human Resources, Organization Heads may approve up to two days of administrative leave with pay and may request authorization for additional leave as needed to address situations in which staff employees are unable to report to work due to a natural disaster or emergency.
Additionally, departments have the discretion to allow employees who were unable to work as a result of the fires to use their accrued vacation, compensatory time off or leave without pay. The option to use accrued vacation, compensatory time off or leave without pay may also be made available to employees who volunteer for or are asked to participate in emergency response activities, such as volunteer firefighters. Employees called to active duty for emergency National Guard leave may be eligible to receive their regular University pay in accordance with Policy 45—Military Leave. Contact Personnel Services Manager Lazetta Smith ( in Campus Human Resources for guidance on any of these policies and to initiate a request for administrative leave with pay. 

Employee Assistance Program

Dealing with emergencies such as the wildfires can take a serious toll on all of us. The professionals at the Staff and Faculty Counseling Center are available to help you cope with the impact of these circumstances. The Center can be reached at (310) 794-0245

403(b) Plan – Emergency Loans and Hardship Withdrawals

The University offers several options for emergency loans for employees in need of financial assistance. Employees who participate in UC's 403(b) Plan may borrow their own funds for emergency needs or, if ineligible for a loan, they may be able to take a hardship withdrawal. Employees may contact their Benefits Representative for assistance. For loans, plan participants will need to apply via the UC Human Resources & Benefits website (see Related Information).

A+ Auto and Home Insurance

For those employees with A+ Auto & Home Insurance managed by California Casualty, call customer service center at (800) 800-9410. Representatives will be available at the UCLA Open Enrollment Fair on October 31, 2007, to provide more information on homeowner's insurance.

Website Information on the Wildfires

The University offers a website with information and resources regarding the wildfires. Click on the link in Related Information for more details.


Campus Human Resources, Personnel Services
Phone: (310) 794-3147 | Fax: (310) 794-0865