Personnel Policies for Staff Members 2.210 - Absence from Work
DEANS, DIRECTORS, DEPARTMENT CHAIRS, and ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICERS
Re: Personnel Policies for Staff Members (PPSM) 2.210 - Absence from Work
The UC Office of the President has issued revisions to Personnel Policies for Staff Members consolidating several existing leave provisions into a single comprehensive policy called "Absence from Work." The policy encompasses seven current policies related to leaves (PPSM 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 and 46). We appreciated receiving feedback from staff and managers during the review process.
The policy changes reflect several enhancements and improvements that support staff work-life needs. Highlights are noted below:
- Staff may use up to 30 days of sick leave to care for and bond with a newborn, adopted or foster child.
- The amount of sick leave that an employee may use during a Family and Medical Leave to address a serious health condition of the employee, spouse or domestic partner, a child or a parent is increased from 30 days to 12 weeks.
- Policy now allows the reinstatement of accrued sick leave for re-employed staff members, if the employee returns to work at UC within 90 days (previously 15 days).
- The amount of sick leave that may be used in the event of the death of a family or household member is increased from 5 to 10 days.
- Policy allows use of sick leave in order to donate bone marrow (up to 5 days) or organs for transplant (up to 30 days).
- Employees may use vacation leave or unpaid leave to serve as an election officer on Election Day.
- Staff may not use vacation or sick leave intermittently during an unpaid leave of absence in order to benefit from holiday pay and employer contributions to benefits that would otherwise not be provided.
- Policy language clarifies that an employee whose appointment is reduced below 50% is not eligible to accrue vacation leave.
- A new policy section contains a variety of leaves under California Law that are offered to accommodate life event circumstances.
The updated policy is effective June 1, 2010, and applies to Professionals and Support Staff (PSS), Managers and Senior Professionals (MSP) and Senior Management Group members (SMG).
The revised policies are available in Related Information. To facilitate compliance with the revisions to these system-wide policies, as well as to provide guidance in their implementation, local procedures will be updated soon.
Please circulate this information to policy-covered staff in your organization. Campus departments may contact Manager Lazetta Smith at 794-0877 (firstname.lastname@example.org) or for the Health System, Director Maure Gardner at 794-0500 (email@example.com).
Campus Human Resources, Personnel Services
Phone: (310) 794-3147 | Fax: (310) 794-0865