Responding to a Complaint or Grievance

Responding to a Complaint or Grievance

January 31, 2014

Summary: Managers and supervisors should follow prescribed steps when responding to a complaint or grievance. The steps below are general guidelines. For more detailed information about these processes or any other union-related activities, contact Labor Relations at (310) 794-0860

What you, as a manager, should do when a complaint or grievance is filed:

1. If a complaint or grievance that concerns your department has been filed, you will receive a notice from Labor Relations. Once received, consult with Labor Relations, (310) 794-0860, regarding your response.
2. Contact Labor Relations before scheduling a meeting or having contact with a union representative about a complaint or grievance.
3. If the employee appeals the first response to the grievance, you may be required to attend a meeting. If you are required to attend a meeting about a complaint or grievance, Labor Relations will notify you of the date, time, and location.

Campus Human Resources, Employee & Labor Relations
Phone: (310) 794-0860 | Fax: (310) 794-0865