Extension of the Employee-Initiated Reduction in Time (ERIT) Program
The Employee-Initiated Reduction in Time (ERIT) Program has been extended beyond June 30, 2020. Since its implementation in 2011, the estimated savings for UCLA has topped $11 million. The cost savings are retained by participating departments. In view of current fiscal challenges, we encourage you to consider this program and to distribute information broadly within your organization or department.
Benefits to Eligible Employees Participating in ERIT:
- Eligibility for the ERIT Program includes all career staff employees (regular status and probationary), except Senior Management Group members.
- Employees will continue to accrue vacation and sick leave at pre-ERIT appointment percentages. For full-time employees who reduce their time, they will retain the full-time accrual rate.
- Participants choose their reduction in time from a minimum of 5% of full-time to a maximum of 50% of full-time.
- Program participation can be as short as one month or as long as 36 months.
- ERIT is an attractive tool for employees who may be interested in more personal time with their families during these challenging times or who wish to pursue additional educational opportunities while working.
For departments that choose to participate in ERIT, an employee may request the department head’s approval to voluntarily reduce working time, within specific limits. Exclusively represented employees are eligible for ERIT if their applicable union has agreed to participate in the program. The following unions currently allow member participation in ERIT: AFSCME, Teamsters, UAPD and UPTE.
Below are documents designed to help with the implementation of the program:
- ERIT Frequently Asked Questions
- ERIT Program Overview
- ERIT Contract (PDF)
- ERIT Contract Amendment (PDF)
If you or your staff have any questions regarding the ERIT Program, campus employees may contact Dyanna De Alba at [email protected], and UCLA Health employees may contact Jane Miller at [email protected].