Proposed Revisions & Consolidation of PPSM–Absence from Work
As part of the University’s ongoing commitment to providing quality benefits, UC is undertaking a review of Personnel Policies for Staff Members (PPSM) to provide options that will assist employees in addressing their work-life needs.
The proposed policy revises seven current policies related to leaves (PPSM 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 and 46) and consolidates them into a single, comprehensive policy called Absence from Work. It includes a number of enhancements intended to be responsive to employee work and life needs by providing increased flexibility in the use of accrued leave.
Highlights are noted below:
- Allowing an employee to use up to 30 days of accrued sick leave to care for and bond with a newborn, adopted, or foster-care child.
- Increasing the amount of sick leave an employee may use during a family and medical leave on behalf of a spouse, domestic partner, child, or parent from 30 days to a 12-week period.
- Increasing the period of time from 15 days to 90 days for reinstatement of all sick leave when an employee is reemployed after a separation.
- Increasing the amount of sick leave that an employee may use in the event of the death of a family or household member from 5 to 10 days.
- Allowing an employee to use accrued sick leave to donate bone marrow (up to 5 days) or organs for transplant (up to 30 days).
- The inclusion of newly enacted Military Caregiver Leave and Qualifying Exigency Leave.
- The inclusion of language to clarify that an employee whose appointment is reduced below 50% will no longer accrue vacation leave.
- The inclusion of a new section containing a variety of leaves under California Law that are offered to accommodate life event circumstances.
The proposed Absence from Work Policy and a summary of all proposed changes are posted in Related Information.
We would appreciate receiving comments by March 5, 2010. For the campus, please send comments to Manager Lazetta Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org) and for the Health System, to Director Maure Gardner (email@example.com).
Campus Human Resources, Personnel Services
Phone: (310) 794-3147 | Fax: (310) 794-0865