START Program Extended
The UC Office of the President has approved a one-year extension of the Staff and Academic Reduction in Time (START) Program for current participants only. The extension of START allows the University to continue to benefit from the program’s temporary salary savings and further address its budget challenges in the fiscal year.
Current START participants can voluntarily reduce their working time during the extension period beginning July 1, 2005, and ending no later than June 30, 2006.
Current participants are defined as those employees who participated in the program at any time between July 1, 2004, and June 30, 2005. If you participated during the 2004-2005 fiscal year, you can enter into a new START contract beginning July 1, 2005, with your department head’s approval and in accordance with the program's provisions:
- Eligible employees are academic personnel, except those in faculty and student academic titles, and regular-status (non-probationary career) staff
- Participants voluntarily reduce their working time from a minimum of 10% to a maximum of 50% of full time, and for a minimum of one month to a maximum of 12 months
- Reduced work schedules are at the convenience of the department and approved by the department head
- Time reduction may be changed only once during the term of the START contract with 30 days advance notice
- Participation may be terminated by the employee or the department head by giving 30 days advance notice of intent to terminate the START contract
Eligible employees will need to complete a new START contract and get their department’s head approval if they choose to take advantage of the extension period. UBEN 270, the START contract for the 2005-2006 fiscal year, can be found on the right.