Professional Development Program (PDP)
PDP was launched in 1994 to provide the University with highly trained and qualified staff prepared to move into leadership positions. This one-year leadership development program provides participants in PSS 2-6 classifications with opportunities to enhance professional and management skills, build professional networks, and learn about the structure and culture of the University. By grooming future leaders, we assist UCLA with its succession management needs and safeguard its continued success.
- Retreat – 2½ day off-site at the beginning of the program year to begin leadership training
- Monthly Seminars – workshops on management competencies, leadership issues and UC/ UCLA organizational information
- Buddy Program – pairings of current year participants with program alumni
- Brown Bags – field trips to participants’ departments to learn about the impressive variety of organizations and employment roles on campus
- Mentoring – pairing of current year participants with senior leaders
- Team Projects – group projects sponsored by campus departments identified as important to university operations
- 360 Degree Assessment – confidential feedback on management competencies from managers, peers, subordinates, self and other colleagues
- Career Coaching – sessions with the program coordinator to strategize individual career plans
- Full time career employment at UCLA in the Professional & Support Staff (PSS) Grades 2-6
- Equivalent classifications include Information Technology Professional (ITP) 1-4, Management & Senior Professional (MSP) 1, and Advancement Officer (AO) 1-3
- At least one year of service at UCLA is required. At least one year of service in current role as of August 1, 2019, is preferred.
- Department endorsement for participation
- PDP runs from August to June each year (fiscal cycle), with recruitment beginning in the spring. The selection committee reviews applications and recommends selected staff for in-person interviews. A final cohort of approximately 30 staff is selected and notified by the end of spring quarter.
- Orientation is in August and a three-day retreat at the UCLA Lake Arrowhead Conference Center is held in September each year.
- Program activities and events are attended throughout the year and a final celebration is held in June.
Application Submission Process
Applications will be accepted from March 1 - April 5, 2019
Three application materials must be submitted in order to be considered for participation: the Participant Application, a current resume, and the Supervisor Recommendation.
- Applicants must complete the Participant Application via SurveyMonkey
- Participant Application link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/66NVHXT.
- At the end of the Participant Application, applicants must upload a current resume
- Supervisors must complete the Supervisor Recommendation via SurveyMonkey
- Supervisor Recommendation link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GC353GQ
Close association between participants, their supervisors and the program coordinator is maintained to ensure that individual career development plans and program activities remain consistent with the University's needs. Supervisors can expect that participants will need approximately 10-12 hours of release time each month. There is no cost to either the department or program member.
For additional information contact:
Campus Human Resources, Training and Development
Phone: (310) 794-0872
Email: [email protected]