Staff Enrichment Program (SEP)
Staff Enrichment Program (SEP)
Summary: The Staff Enrichment Program (SEP) is an annual competitive professional development program aimed at retaining high-potential staff in administrative support roles by providing them with opportunities to build a professional network at UCLA, enhance work skills, and learn career advancement strategies.
Over the course of the year, participants have a unique opportunity to build awareness of their strengths, construct meaningful development goals, develop lasting professional relationships, and explore career opportunities at UCLA.
Since 1979, SEP has served the University with these goals:
- Provide the campus with a pool of skilled applicants to meet the challenges of UCLA's changing environment.
- Achieve a more diverse, professional workforce to meet the operational needs of the University.
- Encourage career development through workshops, individualized coaching, and group projects.
- Monthly workshops on skill development and career enhancement.
- Individual career coaching to create professional development plans for success.
- Team projects that provide opportunities for skill building and further exploration of professional development strategies.
- Networking with program alumni who have been successful in their professional endeavors at the University.
- Small and large group presentations to enhance public speaking skills.
- Educational stipend.
- SEP runs from January to December each year, with recruitment beginning in the fall. The selection committee reviews applications and recommends selected staff for in-person interviews. A final cohort of approximately 30 staff is selected and notified prior to winter closure.
- In January, participants attend an orientation and a full-day retreat.
- Program activities and events are attended throughout the year.
- A final celebration is held in December prior to the winter closure.
Eligibility requirements for 2017 SEP applicants:
- UCLA employee in a Career position.
- At least 1 year of total service at UCLA is required.
- At least 1 year of service in current role as of January 1st of the coming year is preferred.
- Payroll title of Administrative Specialist (and equivalent titles) or below.
- A rating of satisfactory (or better) on the most current performance evaluation.
- Departmental support for participation.
Close association between participants, their supervisors and the program coordinator is maintained to ensure that individual career development plans and program activities remain consistent with the University's needs. Supervisors can expect that participants will need approximately 10-12 hours of release time each month. Cost is free to most department and participants, however, please contact the program coordinator if you are a department within the UCLA Health System.
Recruitment for the Staff Enrichment Program begins in the fall of each year. For additional information, contact Training and Development.
Campus Human Resources, Training and Development
Phone: (310) 794-0850 | Fax: (310) 794-0855