Procedure 3 - Types of Appointment
- Career Appointment — Refer to UC-PPSM Procedure 20, Recruitment and 21, Appointment
- Casual/Restricted Appointment — All positions held by students at UCLA.
- Contract Appointment — A position with a definite end date and terms of employment clearly identified in a written document. An Organization Head or designee may establish contract positions in consultation with Campus Human Resources (CHR). See Employment Agreements and
- Types of Contracts
- Management and Senior Professionals (MSP) — Exempt — Contract used for Management and Professional (MSP) positions;
- Management and Senior Professionals (MSP) — Non-Exempt — Contract used for non-exempt Management and Professional (MSP) positions;
- Professional and Support Staff (PSS) – Exempt — Contract used for exempt positions within the PSS program.
- Professional and Support Staff (PSS) – Non-Exempt — Contract used for non-exempt positions within the PSS program (i.e., those eligible for premium overtime).
- Nature of Appointment:A contract appointment may be approved under one of the following conditions:
- the position is established at less than 50 percent time;
- the position is established at 50 percent time or more for a period of up to four (4) years; or
- the position is for a definite period, has special salary requirements or unique occupational terms and conditions of employment, and an employment contract is customarily used in the occupation to define the employment relationship.
- Terms and Conditions of Contract Appointments: A contract appointment shall be governed by a written employment agreement. The terms and conditions of employment shall be only those specified in the agreement. In addition:
- A contract appointment terminates automatically on the expiration date of the employment contract unless prior to the expiration date the contract is renewed in accordance with 3.2 below.
- A contract appointment of less than four (4) years may be extended to the maximum of four years (see 2.2 above). An employment contract can only be renewed upon mutual agreement of the parties and approval from CHR.
- Types of Contracts
- Limited Appointment - Refer to UC-PPSM Procedure 20, Recruitment and 21, Appointment.
- Partial-Year Career Appointment — An Organization Head or designee may designate new positions as partial-year or reassign existing positions to partial-year.
a. Vacant and Filled Positions: Vacant positions are normally the positions that are reassigned to partial-year positions as incumbents transfer or terminate. Filled full-year positions may also be reassigned to partial-year positions.
Employees in the affected class and department who are interested in having partial-year career positions shall be given first priority for those positions. Otherwise, the reassignment of filled positions to partial-year shall be considered an indefinite reduction in time, and the incumbents shall be transferred in accordance with the provisions of UC-PPSM 60 (Layoff and Reduction in Time from Professional and Support Staff Career Positions).
b. Right to Recall and Preference for Full-Year Positions: Right to recall and preference for reemployment for incumbents involuntarily reassigned to partial-year career positions shall be in accordance with UC-PPSM 60 (Layoff and Reduction in Time from Professional and Support Staff Career Positions, except that such rights shall be limited to full-year positions at the same percentage of time as the position held prior to the change to partial-year.)
c. Furlough: A furlough is considered the scheduled periods during which employees in partial-year career positions do not work. The aggregate duration of furloughs shall not exceed three months per calendar year. Periods on furlough are without pay. Vacation leave, sick leave, and compensatory time off shall not be used during the furlough period.
d. Pay: Employees on furlough can choose either to receive paychecks during working months only or, alternatively, to spread paychecks over twelve months, using the payroll partial-year deduction plan.
6. Per Diem Position — Refer to UC-PPSM Policy and Procedure 24
B. Applicability of Benefits & Retirement Plan Membership
Refer to UC-PPSM 3 (Types of Appointments), Section B.